The first real day that Zay was with us I was so tired just because we had just got back from our long trip to Iowa. So when Isaiah pulled out the Aqutaq (Eskimo Icecream made with salmon berries, sugar etc) and the dried fish, I told everyone that is what we were having for supper. (That is a very common meal in Alaska.) It was SO GOOD! I haven't had it in a LONG time. The kids all LOVED the dried fish (who wouldn't?). It was very.....oh, what is that word my husband uses?....nostalgic. After the kids all had there fill, it was just Isaiah and I left at the table. Zay said that all we needed now, was some hot tea and some kind of bread. (That is what always follows a meal like that.) So we did. Made me feel like I was back in Alaska with a Native. :D Since Isaiah doesn't talk a whole lot, the conversation was ALOT like one you would have with an Eskimo - not alot of talk with pauses inbetween. It was so wonderful to have a time like that with Zay. Mom, Thank you SO MUCH for sending that Aqutaq down, it was SO GOOD!
6 comments:
I am so glad that you and everyone enjoyed it. Now I feel badly that I didn't sent more, but I seem to remember being told NOT to send any dried fish, just salmon that you could cook.
I love you and miss you all.
Oh, by the way, I don't use sugar anymore. I use honey now. It is easier to mix up and it is healthier. Did you notice? Can't really tell, I don't think.
Yeah, I knew you did that now. You've been doing it that way for a while now. I was just saying in general people make it with sugar.
I'm jealous! My mouth is watering just thinking about the aqutaq and dry fish, mmmmm!
Good memories!
~SWEET~
I would like to try the aqutaq. I am not a fish fan, but I could try it too.
Post a Comment