The children have been a handful. Moriah and Josiah are now partners in crime. Whenever you find one of them getting into trouble, the other one is right there at his or her side. The two of them have been into something constantly for weeks. They're so incredibly cute, but they really know how to try a person's patience. Josiah was one thing, but now they're double teaming us.
Everyone please pray for Josiah. He is still not expressing any interest in talking, and we're getting pretty worried about him. We work with him and do everything we know to do, but he will not repeat even the simplest of sounds.
Yet, he hears perfectly. I've tested him by whispering questions to him, like, "Where's Elijah," and he will point without hesitation even when I whisper it very softly. When I tell him to pick up toys, he does it. When I read him a book that had animals and silhoettes of animals, I pointed to a horse and said horse. Then, I asked him to say horse, and he pointed to the silhoette of the horse (the same with the hen, ect.) He is very intelligent and does not appear to be developmentally delayed in anything but speech, yet he will not repeat even simple sounds.
I've done reading on the subject and am concerned. I've been praying for him every day and am seriously considering taking him to be checked out if I don't see improvement in the next few weeks. This weighs heavily on me, since I love my children so deeply and can't stand the thought that one of my children may need more help than I am currently giving.
As for Moriah, she is now one year old. She turned one on Sunday. She is sooo much fun. She loves her Daddy and would play with me all day long if I had the time.
Lately, however, I have had little of that. I've been trying to make time to wrestle and tickle or read a book, but I haven't been able to do much that I would like to (like sit down with Elijah and color, draw sail boats or go sledding).
For Moriah's birthday, I really wanted to have a cake and everything, but the timing was just horrible. We had cup cakes, instead, and we didn't even get to eat them WITH her until the day after her birthday.
Still, here are some pictures. I know that some of you have been waiting to see them. I'll post more later. Enjoy!





15 comments:
Don't be too concerned, my daddy didn't talk until he was 5 years old. Some children just take a little bit longer to talk than others. Just keep repeating the sounds and practicing with him and he'll talk when he wants to talk. But I will keep all of ya'll in my prayers.
Love you Bek, even if you're being all unsocial. :P just teasing, btw.
I love the third picture of Moriah, the way she is looking up at the camera as she shoves that cupcake in her mouth. Too cute!
Darren was three before he started talking. He grunted or pointed at everything he wanted and when I asked him to say what he was asking for, Jeremy always answered for him or if I was busy, I knew what he wanted, so I didn't push it much. Does Elijah and Alana answer for Josiah or do you find that you or Bekah may just automatically do for him the majority of the time? When we had his ears tested and found out that his hearing was perfect, the audiologist told us that he just didn't want to talk yet and when he was ready, he would, not to worry. I don't know if that is the case with Josiah, but just wanted to encourage you that it may not be as bad as it seems. We're praying for you guys.
Happy birthday Moriah! WE hope you had a most excellent one and many more to come. Very cute pictures!
Moriah pictures! Looks like she was really enjoying her cupcake, icing-free cuts half the mess!
I agree with Momma Tammi. For my dad, it was that he didn't have enough interaction with other children his age. That isn't the case with you, but you'll find that the environment has a lot to do with when and how a child begins to talk.
My brother Jon didn't say a thing until past his second birthday. One day Grandma said, Aren't you worried about him? So Dad, jokingly, looked at Jon and said, "Say "hippopotamus!" Jon thought for a sec, and said "HIPPOPOTAMUS" plain as day. Turned out he was just listening all the time. Jon NEVER said anything unless he was sure he could say it right.
Josiah just might surprise you and quote a sermon one of these days!
Wow! All of these tesimonials must be a great encouragement to you, Jay! I agree-don't overreact. Just give him time. God has a wonderful plan worked out for his life and there's nothing to fear. (We worry about soooooo many things that never come to pass!)
Love the pictures. Moriah is gorgeous, as always. Even if she is part of the devious duo. There really ought to be some law about kids gangin up like that. It's soooo not fair! As if you don't already have your hands full dealing with each of them separately!
I've been meaning to call you back, Rebekah!!! I'll mark it down for this next week sometime. HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! You just never know--I may actually follow through this time!!! ;-) Love you and am praying for you.
It probably just runs in the family...well, part of the family. :)
Isaiah didn't talk, and we had his hearing checked, he had so many ear infections, thought maybe he wasn't hearing well, but no.... he's fine. You know, I think it was just his personality, cause Isaiah is the quiet, reserved type, then and now. My dad, your grandpa, learned to talk with his sister June, 2 years younger than him. He is like Isaiah, quiet and reserved.
Sorry, Jacob, Josiah may look like you but not talk like you!!!!
Oh, my, sorry. ha,ha,ha.
Love, Mom
Oh, I forgot, thanks for the birthday pictures. Ican't decide which one to put on my background. Maybe I'll change around everyday. I just want to hug and kiss and smell her. Can't wait for 6 weeks!
Love, Mom
What a cutie. Double teaming you, huh? Can't say I know what that's like because .... well .... I only have one, but I definitely know I'm not looking forward to those days when Jackson teams up with our next one. Nope. Not looking forward to that.
About Josiah ... I'll definitely be praying. Just keep working with him like you are and it'll come. Some do start later, but that by no means will mean that he'll be developmentally slow. As a matter of fact (and this is a certified teacher speaking), sometimes it can be a sign of giftedness, especially with the signs that he seems to be bright that you are seeing. I'd keep working with him. I would only have him tested if he doesn't improve in a few months or so just to get a professional's opinion on the matter, but it's still too early in the game to start making assumptions. However, if you do decide to have him tested, do NOT let them put a label on him with which you uncomfortable or feel is inaccurate. It can happen and it's not good for the kid.
Bek,
I was talking to Amy, my band leader, last night and was telling her about the weekend. And we started talking about marriage and whatnot. All of a sudden, she looked at me with these wide-eyes and said "You're not leaving here, are you???" I said, "Yes." I promise, she almost looked panicked as she asked, "You're not going to Alaska, are you???" Again, I said, "Yes, I am."
She then informed me that I'm not allowed to leave. Micah can come here but I am not allowed to leave. Antioch, but most especially she and Galen, have claimed me as their own and apparently that is that.
It felt nice to be loved and wanted.
Later on, I told her that it would be a year or two before I did leave, so no worries, and what's more, I'll be living in Montana not too long after that. She perked up at that because Galen's brother lives in Helena. I told her that after they visit Perry and his family, to come on over and stay with us a week or so.
Once I told her that, she forgave Micah for taking me away from them. But she's still holding a grudge. :P
Love you, Bek! Have you read my blog yet? And I have pics on Ringo.
This is SO bad, I live on the SAME street as you nad I have to post a comment to ya! HA! Josiah loves to talk when he thinks your not lookin' Tammy Kaufman will tell ya that:) Maybe I should sign to him *SMILE*
Signing wouldn't be bad. That's actually a good idea.
Grandma J. loves to tell the story of a kid that was pretty old when he finally said his first word... actually his first sentence."Up to now the service has been pretty good." I guess he never needed to talk. ha-ha-ha
Hey, Meg.
Be careful that you don't plan too far into the future, unless God has already told you that. (doubtful)
I trust that you want His perfect will for your lives, not His permissible will. Alaska REALLY needs Church of God workers...long term, not short term-ers. You know with the times getting shorter before the Lord's return, and a lot of country to cover here in Alaska and a lot of souls who need God, where is your love? For your friends, for God, for The Church of God, for souls who will become new friends?
You'll see your old friends when God allows it...Assembly... etc...
"Make new friends
but keep the old.
The new are silver,
but the old are gold."
May I challenge you to follow the leading of the Lord one step at a time, not a life-time revelation at a time. I doubt that Bro. & Sis. Smith knew ahead of time that they would be in Cleveland, or that Nowlings would be in Anchorage, etc. You'll find peace of mind and heart when you just obey the Lord wherever He leads you without giving Him stipulations.
Maybe you should suggest to Bro. & Sis. Donnafield that they come to Alaska. Their folks were missionaries to Australia. Now what does God have for this generation?
Love ya,
Sister Connie,
Amy was actually talking about how Galen wants to go to Alaska. And the thing is, I could actually see them there.
The prayer of my heart is that God will guide me in all things, but it's hard. I'm young, I have things I want to do with my life, and not everything can be done there. But God knows the desires of my hearts, and I know that what He has for me truly is best. Forget my dreams. Forget my plans. Forget myself. All that matters is that I am in the place that God wants me to be.
Just keep me in your prayers, because I am walking the thin line between what I want and what God wants. Even Anchorage isn't quite as difficult a life as I am told Bethel is. I just wonder, can I do it? It's so different and so far from everything I know. My family. My friends. What little of a home that I have known... I honestly don't know what will happen.. or if I could do that. I guess if it's God's will, He'll give me the strength. I know that whatever strength will have to come from Him, because I can't do it on my own.
Alaska is an adventure, and I do like adventures....
Megan
P.S- Love you too!
Thanks, Bek, for sharing your blog with us.
Hey, we had to close school at noon today because of a blizzard. But sorry to say, it looks like we will be back to school in the morning. It is already above zero and the wind has died down. Thank God for a warmer house than when I first got married. That was adventurous! That was 29 years ago!
Post a Comment