Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A Non-Traditional New Year's Day

Well, we all felt better for New Years Day. However, we still didn't get to be with family, because everyone is scared to be around us. LOL. Sometimes, ya just can't win.

Uncle David said that he read people who catch this flu can continue to be contagious for up to three weeks. Can you imagine!

It wasn't your typical New Year's Day. We slept in. I got up an finished reinstalling everything to my laptop computer after my annual reformat (I usually wait until Jan. 3 or thereafter to do it, but it needed the reformat bad so I did the reformat New Year's Eve. and then reinstalled the essential programs).

Once everyone had eaten breakfast, gotten cleaned up and dressed we all took a drive into Columbia Falls to get something for New Year's dinner. Rebekah didn't feel much like cooking, so we picked up a huge (14 in) sub-sandwich from the deli and some frozen pizzas that were on sale. The children wanted hamburgers, so we swung by Burger King and picked up three cheeseburgers for them (they wanted to eat inside, but I was determined to eat at home and have some small semblance of a holiday).

While we ate, I put on some Christmas music, and that helped to lift my spirit a little. It just didn't feel like we'd had much of a holiday at all, and those of you who know me understand what a nostalgic time of year the season usually is for me. Bek saw that I wasn't myself and asked if I was OK. I said that I was just missing the holidays, but the music helped some.

After we ate, I let the children open the last of their Christmas presents. The three older ones all got Superman capes and Elijah and Alana got a Bob the Builder game that they will share. Moriah got a couple of things, but Rebekah had let her and Josiah open those things a couple of days ago.

Elijah, Alana and Josiah all dawned their capes and flew around the house for about an hour, whirling around in circles like a tornado and sounding like one too. Then, they played Bob the Builder for a while and had a lot of fun with that, too.

Afterward, we drove to Grandma Jenkins' house. Grandma said we could come see Uncle Wayne who was visiting for the day as long as we stayed in our cars. So we visited with Uncle Wayne and his family from our van for 15 or 20 minutes.

Then, it was back home for some pizza. It was really good pizza. Everyone loved it.

Before bed, Rebekah and I played a game of Super Mario World--you know, the old Super Nintendo game. Neither of us had played the game in ages, so we died quickly the first few attempts. Then, we started remembering what to do.

The kids liked watching us play, and it was the first time that we had played a video game together in about a year and a half, so it was fun.

By that time, we were completely exhausted and went right to bed. Since we've been sick, 10:00 P.M. has seemed pretty late. Maybe it will become our official bedtime.

Hope everyone had a great New Year. Love ya.

Sincerely,

Bro. Jacob

2 comments:

Unknown said...

we were watching phantom of the opera and ended up missing seeing the ball drop. we were about 2 minutes too late. so we shrugged, said "happy new year" to each other, and finished watching the movie. it was funny.

Rebekah Doran said...

I still haven't seen that movie. Would like to though.