Sunday, June 22, 2008

New Play Dresses

I took Mom's idea and made Alana some play dresses from the clothes that I just dug out of the 4 T box for Alana. They weren't new clothes, so I don't have to worry about her getting them dirty and staining them etc. They were pretty easy to make, especially since I didn't have to sew any hems. All I had to do was make gathers, pin and sew. Three of them were made from jumpers that were Alana's size (She is not big on jumpers for playing.) The rest of the skirts were material from woman's dresses that I had gotten for free, wasn't able to use them saved them thinking I would make a skirt someday for Alana, and I did! :D Alright, here are the "new" dresses.

1


This is the first one she chose to wear today.

2



3



4



5


You know, another great part of this is, Alana's clothes will already be matched! lol She still has trouble in that department. This solves alot of that "problem". :P

Just for fun, which one do you like the best?

8 comments:

Momma Tammi said...

The new play dresses turned out great!

Rachel said...

That is an AWESOME IDEA!!!!! The dress I got at Target for Emily for her dedication, was basically a onesie cut in half with a skirt sewed in the middle and I wanted to try to recreate that, but I hadn't thought about using t-shirts! I haven't found any good play dresses and I found some skorts but if they aren't really too short they will be soon (she's getting big enough for it to kind of matter). Wal-Mart has t-shirts on sale so I might just make that my project this weekend!

And I can't really pick a favorite... I like the white one, and the ladybug one, and the stripe and polkadot one - mostly for the pockets. :-)

Rachel said...

How did you measure out the amount of fabric to use when you didn't use the jumpers?

Rebekah Doran said...

I just took a jumper or a dress that I liked the length of, put the shirt on top of it and then measured from the bottom of the shirt to the bottom of the jumper or dress. Added an inch and a half to allow to make the gathers and then cut the skirts. If you are using new material you would have to allow for the gathers and the hem 2 1/2 to 3 inches I would guess. Put them up on your blog when you get them done so I can see them. :)

Vicki Smith said...

What a fun, EASY way to make a dress! I hope Becki visits here and realizes how easy it would be to make cute dresses using this method! Surely even SHE could do it! HA! (She'll eventually find this comment) ;P
I like the lady bug one best--bright, fun colors.
Congratulations!

Tammy K. said...

I think I like the last one best. The blue is really cute.
I too hope Beckis visits here. Katie's torso is so long and she has trouble with shirts being to short, this would surely fix the problem. Very neat idea.

Rebekah Doran said...

Sis. Tammi - Thanks!

Rachel - I thought so too! I KNEW you would like the idea. :) Can't wait to see what you come up with! lol My mom was the same way, liked all the dresses. :D

Sis. Smith - Thanks! I was so excited when I realized those two pieces matched so well. That ladybug shirt is very "fun".

Tammy - I ended up liking that blue one more then I thought I would, it is cute. :) It would solve the problem of an extra long torso. Simple and easy fix. I like easy! :)

Kasey said...

I like them all!! But I think the last one is close to favorite.