We just had our first cherry pie from our trees. Oh wow, that's some good stuff! I love cherry pie, it has always been my favorite if made right. :) Jacob and Elijah pick two bowl fulls (normal mixing size) of cherries while I was at the grocery store yesterday. Elijah really wanted me to make pie. We had enough for 2 pies and 4 quart bags for the freezer. I looked at the price of cherries in a can at the store, 2.29 or 2.39, I can't remember which. Anyway, I figured out that we picked, used or froze, $32 worth of cherries yesterday! That makes me happy. We still have quite a bit on the trees that we need to pick. I think I'm going to aim to try to do two bowls of cherries a day. That's about the limit this household can handle in a day. :)
Jacob just left and will be gone for the rest of the day. After he finishes up at the paper, he will be going to help the Kauffmans with there house. He probably won't get back until 10 or 11 tonight. Which is good news for those who are waiting for camp pictures. I will be able to work on them tonight with no interruptions etc after the kids are in bed. (At lest that is what I'm hoping for!)
Ok, I'm off to pick cherries. Hope everyone is having a great day!
Grateful for the life message of Charlie Kirk
2 months ago


4 comments:
Ernie and I picked about a cupful of blueberries and salmon berries last night while Nathan biked to and from his cat sitting job. The blueberries need more time to ripen. I need Isaiah to come home and take by boat to pick salmon berries. We added the cupful to our smoothies this morning. Can't wait to get more.
Yum! How fun to have your very own cherry trees!!! Makes you feel good and domestic to pick fruit from your very own trees instead of paying the crazy prices at the store, hu?! Thriftiness is soooooo rewarding. :-)
Mom - I guess Aunt Cathy and Uncle David went and picked huckleberries yesterday and got 6 cups. Yum! It's that time of year for berry and cherry picking. :D
Becki - I am SOOOO thankful that we have two very well yielding cherry trees in our back yard. I love it! Berry picking is in my blood from all the picking we did growing up. While this isn't exactly the same, it is close enough to fill the void. *contented sigh* We are up to $90 dollars worth of picked cherries now!!!
Ever thought about opening a produce stand somewhere? That'd be so neat, I think.
:D
Post a Comment