Sunday, February 24, 2008

Influenza

Signs and symptoms

Initially, the flu may seem like a common cold with a runny nose, sneezing and sore throat. But colds usually develop slowly, whereas the flu tends to come on suddenly. And although a cold can be a nuisance, you usually feel much worse with the flu.

Common signs and symptoms of the flu include:

  • Fever over 101 F in adults, and often as high as 103 to 105 F in children
  • Chills and sweats
  • Headache
  • Dry cough
  • Muscular aches and pains, especially in your back, arms and legs
  • Fatigue and weakness
  • Nasal congestion
  • Loss of appetite
  • Diarrhea and vomiting
  • Ear pain
  • Sore throat
  • Pain when you move your eyes

Jacob told me today that he thinks we had/have influenza. So I looked it up to see what exactly it was. I know I've heard about it before in reading books and all but have never actually looked it up. It says it comes on SUDDENLY. That was most definitely us. We were fine one minute and then all of a sudden we have this instant cough. It was weird.

We all had a fever. Thankfully our highest was 102, but mainly 101.
  • Chills and sweats - yes
  • Headache - yes
  • Dry cough - yes
  • Muscular aches and pains, especially in your back, arms and legs - YES
  • Fatigue and weakness - yes
  • Nasal congestion - yes
  • Loss of appetite - oh yeah
  • Diarrhea and vomiting - Josiah was the only one to vomit, the rest of us did the other.
  • Ear Pain - yes
  • Sore throat - yes
  • Pain when you move your eyes - YES, everyone of us complained about this one. It was really painful for a couple days.

Home Treatment
  • Bed rest
  • Drink extra fluids – at least one full glass of water or juice every hour.
  • Acetaminophen (Tylenol), or Ibuprofen can relieve head and muscle aches. Aspirin should be avoided for children.

  • I didn't know about that one full glass of water or juice every hour. That would have been something good to know.

    Duration

    After 5 days, fever and other symptoms have usually disappeared, but a cough and weakness may continue. All symptoms are usually gone within a week or two. However, it's important to treat the flu seriously because it can lead to pneumonia and other life-threatening complications, particularly in infants, senior citizens, and people with long-term health problems.

    Contagiousness

    Spread by virus-infected droplets that are coughed or sneezed into the air, the flu is contagious. People infected with the flu are contagious from a day before they feel sick until their symptoms have resolved (usually about 1 week for adults, but can be up to 2 weeks for young kids).



    Jacob, Elijah, Alana, and Josiah are pretty much back to normal today. Moriah, Tabitha and I are still not feeling the best. I'm still achy and very tired and still go from cold to hot, but at lest my head isn't killing me like yesterday. (Thank the Lord for that!) Tabitha and Moriah are just plain still miserable. I'm hoping I'll be back in good condition before Jacob leaves for the wedding Tuesday Morning.

    Today Grandma brought us Sloppy Joes. Super yummy.

    I guess Uncle David is not feeling too good today and Dave left church early with the chills. I sure hope they didn't get it.

    Ok, off to make some spinich applesauce.

    No comments: