Friday, August 01, 2008

Camp Report

Our camp this year was mainly Spanish. So we ended up having a bilingual camp. It was rather neat! We had 125 campers plus staff. That is the biggest camp we have had in this region thus far. :D Let's see, the little kids had their own "classes". I don't know what was taught them, but I know for their projects, they made the decorations for the banquet. Out theme was "On Fire and Rescue". So they painted the burning bush one day and made firefighters another day. Those were really cute!

The teens had one class taught by a Spanish person and translated to English. My teens told me that they really enjoyed the classes. One day they were taught about hell and how it wasn't made for people. Another day about obedience and how disobeying parents and teachers is disobeying God and it is sin. The other day was about fire. Then the next class was teens and adults together. It was on Euphymisms, words that we use in replace of swear words like "fudge" or "oh my word!". Made one stop and think about what really is coming out of our mouths. That class was taught by Devin Cables. He did a good job.

My Aunt Cathy was the cook for camp. She was really short handed, so whenever I could I helped her. So, I didn't get to get in on the classes, but had my teens tell me what they were about. Except one day the Spanish cooked a breakfast and a lunch. So Aunt Cathy and I got in Bro. Devins class one day.

The Spanish cook some really good food! Spanish oatmeal (it was watery compared to what we make, but very sweet and good), burritos and chirizzo was breakfast. For lunch we had Pozole. Pozole is a kind of soup made with hominy (which I'm not a big fan of, but this stuff was GOOD!) with chips and a spanish cake for desert. I know all the Spanish there enjoyed getting some real Spanish food. And the rest of us had fun trying "new" foods.

We had water games/fights, swimming, canoeing, and volleyball. Lots of fun! We had a girl lifeguard for the girls. Her mom brought her to the camp. She (the mom) got to talking with Lyndi and somehow got to talking about how we have the girls and boys swim separately, and that we also don't wear shorts and tang tops. The Mom said that she noticed that we were a little "different". She went on to say that she just might send her daughter to camp with us next year!

Our evangelist was Sis. Diana Cervantes from California. She did very well. Jacob was in charge of the childerns church so I was taking care of Josiah, Moriah and Tabitha during the services so I don't remember any certain thing she preached about. I do know that God spoke to my heart on a few things during she preaching. The alters were filled and many times the youth would go back to the seats and pray more with friends etc. I know after I put the little kids to bed (we had our very own cabin right next to the "church"), there was still some teens praying and seeking the Lord. I was able to join them. It was wonderful! We had 9 saved, 8 sanctified and 2 Holy Ghost filled and a lot of renewing for the years work ahead.

One night we had service out by the bon fire. The ranger said she could hear us in her office. Said that she usually turns on the radio while she works but that night she left it off and just listened to us. She also said that she wished she didn't have work to do so that she could have come and joined us. One just never knows when someone is watching us and noticing things. We are a light all the time.

It was a fun, wonderful and Spirit filled camp. I'm so glad that we were able to go this year.

There you have it, the NorthWest Region camp report. Pictures to come later on in the month. :)

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Euphemisms! Yes! So glad someone taught that! I learned that in the Amish church. If you look up "gosh" in the dictionary it actually tells you that it is a byword for god.

I still say "oh my goodness!" but I probably shouldn't because I'm not sure that's ok. I should stick with literal exclamations, like, "wow!" and "cool!" and "that's terrible!"

~Amy said...

Awwww, that's such an awesome report. I love the part about the lady working in her office and listening to the saints of God praising Him. Amazing how God works. Really touching. I pray God leads her to the Church.

Yeah, those euphemisms can trip us up.

Vicki Smith said...

Thanks for the good report! I look forward to pictures, but the written report was very good in the meantime.