Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Sickness Update

Well, the day after Christmas has now passed.

I had to go into work today, to do some interviews. My deadline for this week is Thursday afternoon, which doesn't leave me with much time. I'll have to do one more interview tomorrow.

I stopped at Wal-Mart on the way home to pick up some supplies for the kiddies. More pedialite (four bottles), cups to make popsickles (didn't help with anyone but Alana, who was already drinking plenty), Poweraide, Romien noodles, antibacterial soap, hand lotion for me (I've washed my hands so many times that they are both cracked and bleeding), and some After-Christmas special rope lights ($3.00 per 18 foot length).

Ok, the rope lights weren't for the kids, at least not for their sickness. We put our blue ones up this year and they looked so much nicer than anything else that we put up outdoors that I told Rebekah I wanted to buy more after Christmas, when they went on sale. She agreed, so I did. Now, I can't wait to use them. Heh. Heh.

Anyway, the kids are doing better. Josiah is now the worst, because he doesn't seem to want to drink anything and with even the smallest portion of liquids holds in throat and cries. I'm not sure if the stomach acids have made his throat sore from when he threw up or what, so please pray for him.

Elijah was still lethargic this morning, but he's been acting better since then. He came around after drinking some more fluids and hasn't thrown up or had diarea at all today. PRAISE THE LORD! He had ramien noodles, when I got home and even played a learning game that he got for Christmas. Rebekah said that he also played with some toys while I was gone, which is good to hear (before he would just hold them and look at them).

Alana has done the best out of all of them, but she got pretty wore out by late afternoon and took a long nap from which I was hard pressed to wake her up after the romien noodles were done cooking. She acted pretty normal, after that.

Moriah threw up twice and had lots of diarea. She nursed some but doesn't want to drink anything. Rebekah had to give her pedialite through a dropper.

What's worse is that she rolled off of the couch, where she had been resting with Alana this evening. She hit the floor pretty hard (landed on her front and smacked the side of her face on the hard wood floor). There was a nice red mark that formed a thin (1/4 in., maybe a bit less) line from her brow down her cheek.

I was so worried about her because she was crying funny. I held her until she stopped crying. Then she threw up and had more diarea, but it didn't seem to be caused by the incident and she acted normal afterward. She followed my hand with her eyes and later wanted to walk and play with a new toy a little. I called a local midwife to ask if it was safe to let her go to sleep, and she said that since Moriah cried right away it was unlikely that there was any neuralogical damage from the fall.

It was about two hour later that I finally stopped worrying about her. Rebekah hates it when I worry about the children, but I can't help it (especially when they're that small). They're my children and I'm supposed to protect them. If anything ever happened to one of them because I didn't do something that I should have done, I can't imagine how I'd cope with it (and nothing I could do then would be able to undo the harm caused by not doing what I should have done in the first place).

I don't know if that makes any sense at all, but I did pray and told the Lord that I would rest in Him. I asked him as one father who loves my children so very deeply to another Father who loves them far more than I could ever imagine, and I felt His presense. I believe He understood and had compassion.

What do you guys think? Am I wrong to be so deeply moved with concern for my children when something like this happens? I'm a pretty level-headed guy, and I don't worry over little things like bee-stings, bumps and bruises--just when I am concerned that there may be something more seriously wrong. With the other stuff, I just tell them to be tough and shake it off, although I will pray with them if it makes them feel better.

I told Rebekah tonight that I believe every child should come with a comprehensive manual that addresses all these issues, telling you exactly what you should and should not do in such situations. Then, I wouldn't have to wonder if I was overeacting or if there really was something more I should she be doing or seriously concerned about. Rebekah found that idea rather amusing.

Anyway, tell me what you think.

Thanks for all of your prayers. They are working. Please pray for Josiah and don't stop praying for the rest of us until everyone is well.

God bless you all and have a great night or day, depending on when you read this.

Sincerely,

Bro. Jacob

3 comments:

Momma Tammi said...

Bro. Jacob, you are NOT over-reacting. You are a father that loves his children and you are concerned with their well being. As Megan said, "you are not obsessed with the 'what if?'..." That would be over-reacting. Of course, you asked the GUYS if you were over-reacting and so far, you've gotten input from two females...but for what it is worth, it is refreshing to see a father as concerned as you are for your children's health and safety. We continue to pray for each one and trust that God will keep you all in His loving hand throughout this ordeal.

Anonymous said...

If Josiah won't drink yet, you may want to try putting water or juice up his bottom with an enama (sp) syringe (I'm not sure if that's the right terminology). It will keep him from getting dehydrated.
Love, Mom

Montgomery's said...

So sorry for the sickness that is in your family. Hope all of you are feeling better by now. A good help for those dry hands Jacob. . . at night before bed, put lotion and vasaline on your hands and then wear some latex gloves overnight. It's amazing how in the morning your hands feel so much better. You are in my prayers!