Sunday, September 21, 2008

From the Garden

I was able to get a few things done, beside school and feeding everyone, this week. That made me feel good.

Tuesday my Grandma came over and helped me make chokecherry syrup. I had tried to make it before and I guess that I cooked it too long or something and ended up with a ROCK of sugared chokecherry juice in a jar. Yeah, that got thrown away. But this time it work great! We had pancakes and waffles that night. Yum! Here's the syrup in a jar....


And our supper of pancakes with peanutbutter and chokecherry syurp.


These are for Bro. Johnny Furlong. He asked me how big my zucchini was while we were camping last month. As you can see they are REALLY big. My grandma thinks that they crossed with my summer squash as they are not "normal" zucchini. I only had two that got that yellow coloring, the rest were green like the one on the left. They taste like zucchini and can be used in all the same recipes. It is kinda funny, everyone else zucchini (in the bend) didn't do so well this year, but mine that crossed with something else did good! I'm needing to shred these up and freeze them for winter zucchini bread. Mmmmmm.


Here is a picture of my pathetic onions. lol They didn't grow very big. I have some that are bigger than what you see here but they definitely don't even reach "medium" size. That is a teaspoon in front of my onions.


With my wonderful large zucchini and my tiny onions, I was able to make 4 batches of relish. Two of my zucchinis will make one batch. Ended up with 8 quarts and 5 pints. I'll see how long they last us and plan accordingly for next years relish. My relish is a little different in color because I used brown sugar instead of white. I gave away 5 of my zucchini's and still have at lest 5 to shred. I'm happy with my two plants this year. :D


Lastly, here are my crooked neck summer squash. They are REALLY good cooked in butter with seasoning salt and some brown sugar. Jacob and I could eat just that for a meal. I didn't get alot of these, but enough to add variety to our meals.


You can see in this picture that they are not real big.


That brings us to the end of my posts for this week. Hope you all have a great week! Until next time.

2 comments:

Jessa Stephens said...

YUM!!!!!! That chokecherry syrup looks fantastic! It's making me hungery! =)

Anonymous said...

That's some great looking stuff! Good work! Thanks for sharing!