"Kuchen is a tasty dessert with a dough crust and custard filling. Usually fruit is found in kuchen, but cheese or sugar can be used instead. It is normally topped with cinnamon.
Although it is most commonly thought of as a dessert, it can also be eaten as a snack or breakfast food."
It is also the state dessert for S. Dakota.
I found a recipe that is quit simple and lower in sugar AND it used fresh plums. Since my plum trees are ready to pick, I was looking for things that I could make with them. :)
When I saw this recipe, I thought that it would make a good, fun breakfast and so I tried it this morning. I mixed half wheat flour and half white. It was good! Not overly sweet, (only 1 c. for 9x13 pan instead of the usual 1 1/2 - 2). The kids loved it, even Josiah who has not always been a fan of eating cook fruit.

We ate ours with a spoon of whipcream, expect for Alana and Josiah. They preferred it without.

I was going to share some with my Grandparents, but between the seven of us, there was none left. I guess I'm going to have to make TWO pans of it next time. :)


5 comments:
It sure looks yummy. If it is as good as your raspberry coffee cake then, no wonder none was left.
That looks good. I think I ahve had that before somewhere, I did not know what it was called. You did good. Made me hungry :o)
How is Gramdpa?
I meant "Grandpa"
That does look really yummy. Mmmmmm....
My absolute favorite desserts are always ones with fruit. Sometimes I just cut a fruit in half (like a plum, nectarine, or peach), sprinkle just a little sugar, and grill the halves cut side down. That's one of the best desserts in the world.
Neat. There are a lot of German descent people around here. Next time I sub I'll have to ask the kids if they've ever had kuchen. (I wonder if the word kitchen is derived from that word.) Neat word study idea for the older kids.
Yum!! I would like to try that. :)
Post a Comment