http://www.westonaprice.org/transition/fatfear.html
Lard is a monounsaturated fat. Here is a little blurb about monounsturated fats.
Lard is also one of the best sources of Vit. D.
I guess my take on food is a little different than alot of peoples. I like to eat things the way God made them in the first place. Alot of fresh foods (vegs and fruit). Home cooked meals etc. I figure people can't improve on what God has already made. Same with choosing what milk I feed my babies (breast milk) I find it a little strange that people think they can make a better milk for their babies than what God has already made. Anyway, I'm getting off track here, back to LARD.
Here in this house we use butter instead of marg. I hardly ever used Crisco, because it was man-made and I knew it wasn't all that great for a body. I LOVE biscuits though, so I would use it every once in a while. After moving here where we had a pig raised for us, Grandma told me that they always melted the pig fat down and make lard. They would then use it in making bread. (A couple of the kids around here is sensitive to soy, and lard was the only thing his mother could use that wouldn't bother him.) At first I just gave my fat to Grandma to use (she is sensitive to additives in food etc). I finally realized that one could make biscuits with it and so I started to use lard. This year we didn't get a pig since the Kauffmans were very busy with adding on to there house. So I started looking into buying the pig fat.
I found a place that sold it to me for 74 cents a lb. Thursday I went and picked up 30lbs of it. After that the fun began. :)
Grandma helped me to cut the fat into small chucks. Then we put the fat in a roaster and put it in the oven. I read that one could leave it in the oven all night at 225 degrees. So I did that. But my oven heated hotter than 225 during the night so my oil got a tad dark, but Grandma said it was still good and useable. Yeah!
Here is the fat chucks being put in the oven.
"Monounsaturated fats (MUFAs) lower total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) while increasing HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol). Including peanuts, walnuts, almonds and pistachios, avocado, canola and olive oil are high in MUFAs. MUFAs have also been found to help in weight loss, particularly body fat."
Lard is also one of the best sources of Vit. D.
I guess my take on food is a little different than alot of peoples. I like to eat things the way God made them in the first place. Alot of fresh foods (vegs and fruit). Home cooked meals etc. I figure people can't improve on what God has already made. Same with choosing what milk I feed my babies (breast milk) I find it a little strange that people think they can make a better milk for their babies than what God has already made. Anyway, I'm getting off track here, back to LARD.
Here in this house we use butter instead of marg. I hardly ever used Crisco, because it was man-made and I knew it wasn't all that great for a body. I LOVE biscuits though, so I would use it every once in a while. After moving here where we had a pig raised for us, Grandma told me that they always melted the pig fat down and make lard. They would then use it in making bread. (A couple of the kids around here is sensitive to soy, and lard was the only thing his mother could use that wouldn't bother him.) At first I just gave my fat to Grandma to use (she is sensitive to additives in food etc). I finally realized that one could make biscuits with it and so I started to use lard. This year we didn't get a pig since the Kauffmans were very busy with adding on to there house. So I started looking into buying the pig fat.
I found a place that sold it to me for 74 cents a lb. Thursday I went and picked up 30lbs of it. After that the fun began. :)
Grandma helped me to cut the fat into small chucks. Then we put the fat in a roaster and put it in the oven. I read that one could leave it in the oven all night at 225 degrees. So I did that. But my oven heated hotter than 225 during the night so my oil got a tad dark, but Grandma said it was still good and useable. Yeah!
Here is the fat chucks being put in the oven.

Here is what is left of the fat chucks when all the oil is out of them otherwise known as "cracklings". I took the little pieces of meat off them and ate them. They were sooo good, basically slow cooked and then fried pork. Very yummy, the kids though so too.
This pic is a little darker then the other cracklings I made yesterday, but you get the idea. :)

Here is the oil I got from my first batch. If I was thinking I would of took a picture of the lighter oil I got from the second batch. It was more like water looking. After the oil cooled, I poured it into 5 lb marg. containers.

From there, I put them in the frig. to get hard, more lard like. I ended up with 3 container fulls. That is 15 lbs. Grandma has a 3 lb container at her house that I gave her, so a total of 18 lbs of lard. Roughly about $1.40 a lb. Grandma check the lard they sell in chucks at the stores. They sell for about $2.40 a lb. That lard isn't the best for a person as it has added stuff in it to give is shelf life.

So now I have enough lard to last me for a while. I'm happy. Two tubs are in the freezer and one in the frig. I can't wait to make some biscuits! I've read that it is suppose to make some really good pie crust. I'll try it one day I'm sure, but not today. That was my day yesterday in between doing school and all. Hope every had as good a Friday as I had. It was a fun day. :)


7 comments:
Wow, what an intresting process! You'll have to tell us how your pies turn out....
Rebekah, I think the things you do like this are sooooo cool. You're my hero!
;-)
Wow, neato!! I like the idea doing things the old fashioned way like that! I need to work on eating more fresh veggies and fruit. You can make me some lard, and I will pay you for it :)
Sounds similar to rendering seal oil. It is probably only different in the temp that the oil comes out. Seal oil has a very low "melting point", thus it is just rendered on the kitchen counter or room temperature. Pork must have a higher "melting point" thus it needs the aid of an oven. I always LOVE to make seal oil. Proud of you, Sis.
Love ya.
Cool! I'm with you on the natural eating thing. I need to put it into practice more.
When I was younger my family used lard in cooking all the time, and it really does make the best biscuits. However, I didn't like it for baking, the taste was too strong in the finished product.
WOW! WHAT A WOMAN!!! You're my hero! I've always used lard for my pie crusts but it never occured to me to make the LARD! I think the pie crust recipe calls for a couple of tablespoons more of lard than it does if you're using shortening. I guess if you used lard as a substitution for Crisco you would maybe add a bit more than what the recipe calls for? Interesting. I'll have to check into that. Do you have any idea how long the homemade lard will keep in the fridge? I would think if it's refrigerated it would keep for several months, right? I've started keeping my lard in the fridge anyway since the colder the lard and the liquid you use, the flakier the pie crust. --Thanks for the tutorial on making lard! That's so great!
Jessa - The pies turned out great! As for the crust, I don't know. I'm not a pie crust fan. I eat it in pie but not the back fancy part of the pie. :P
Amy - Really?! lol
Kasey - Ok, I'll send you the bill. ;-)
Mom - Yeah, it must have a lower melting point than seal blubber. I remember you making seal oil. yum!
Rachel - Yeah, I hope nobody thinks that we ONLY eat natural or certain things. We eat pretty much anything that comes our way. ;-) But when I can and with what I can, we eat more natural.
I've heard that lard is a little strong in baking. I've only used lard for biscuits and greasing pans and now pie crust. I usually use butter when I bake other things.
Sis. Smith - I don't know if you would have to use more in a recipe. I wouldn't think so, but I don't know for sure. What pie crust recipe do you use? I'll have to try it and see if I like it better then the one I use. Homemade lard will keep in the fridge for a LONG time. I've had some for a like 3-4 months and it was still good.
Post a Comment