Monday, October 27, 2008

A Weekend Without Jacob

As I mention last weekend, Jacob was at the Minister's convention without us last weekend. We missed him, but as always, stayed busy. That helped the time to past quickly. After school was done that Friday, we all headed over to Great Grandma's house to visit. We don't get to do that as often as I would like, so when I saw our chance, we went for it! After our visit with my Grandparents we came home and pulled/dug the rest of our carrots out of our garden. Elijah had SOOO much fun. He didn't leave my side for a minute until we were done. We had about a 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 square of carrots this yr. I'm surprised at how many carrots we got from that little square. We had already used about 2 rows during the summer, leaving us with 4 rows to put in the fridge.

Here is a picture of what we harvested. They are the short sweet version. The kids really like them and I do too. This should be enough to last us for a couple months.


This one carrot was a particularly fat one.


The next day (Saturday) Melissa and her kids came over for some long overdue play time. They had fun, as always.

Sunday I ended up helping Grandma cook and can her apple butter for the year. It was a training session for me so that I could do it on my own after that.

We were all glad to see Jacob come home that night. Tabitha wouldn't let him put her down for quite a while. She is turning into a Daddy's girl.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

i have never seen carrots like that before.

weird?

Rachel said...

Me neither Megan!

If they are sweeter than "normal" carrots, then I'd probably love them!

SIS-MC said...

They are quite yummy, especially the way Sis Rebekah prepares them.

Sorry to hear about the leaks. I know how frustrating that can be.

Tammy K. said...

Good looking carrots.

Tammy K. said...

I want some of that apple butter :o) I LOVE apple butter.

Rebekah Doran said...

The carrots are a little different in taste. I'm not sure how to describe it... I don't know if they really are sweeter but they definitely are shorter!

Rebekah Doran said...

Tammy - Did they make applebutter while you were out here? I can't remember.